- Natural square shoulder vegetable tanned in Tuscany
- Thickness up to 2mm (5oz.)
- Normal firmness
- A Grade - Very high quality
- Ideal for belts, bags, wallets, binding, saddlery, cases, holsters and tooling, molding, engraving, embossing, dyeing
The price refers to one whole or half piece of which is indicated the average size
Many thicknesses available, select one from the drop-down menù
With over 60 years of experience in the tanning industry BuyLeatherOnline is the biggest leather hides supplier and producer of vegetable tanned leather and fashion hides of Made in Italy quality.
Shipping and delivery
We ship worldwide using the best couriers at affordable rates. Preparation times are usually 2-3 business days to which you need to add delivery time of the courier chosen at checkout. We guarantee every shipment to its destination and the shipping costs include package insurance.
|DHL Express||2 - 3 days|
|FedEx||4 - 5 days|
|UPS||3 - 4 days|
|DHL Standard||4 - 5 days|
|DPD||4 - 7 days|
Click here for more info.
The accepted payment methods are: PayPal, Credit Card and Bank Transfer.
You have 14 days to change your mind! Customized products are not returnable. For detailed condition click here.
For almost all items it is possible to request a reduction of thickness down to 0,8mm (2 oz.), this service is free and included in the price, just request it in the order notes. It is not possible to request the splitting service for leftovers, scraps and strips of leather. Split items are considered customized and are therefore not eligible for returns.
- Tanning Vegetable Tanning
- Type of Leather Bovine Grain Leather
- Leather Cut Square Shoulder
- Thickness Range Normal (1 ~ 2 mm)
- Exact Thickness 2 mm - (5 oz.)
- Other Thicknesses Available Choose one thickness from the drop-down menu
- Type of Finishing (Primary) Natural Vegetable (Full Grain)
- Finishing Description Natural Vegetable: this finishing, also known as "Crust", is characterized by a natural full grain surface that is clearly visible because the skin is left in its natural state without any kind finishing. It can be used in this state or further refined.
- Temper 3/6 Normal
- Primary Use Belts and Saddlery. This leather is usually characterized by a square shape and an high thickness and is suitable for the production of belts, harness and saddles for motorbikes, horse riding, bicycles etc..
- Secondary Use Leather Goods, Bags, Binding, Wallets. This leather is suitable for producing leather bags or purses, totes, luggage, wallets, book bindings, covers, lining and small leather goods in general.
- Other Uses Shoes and Footwear. This leather is suitable for shoes and footwear of all kinds, from decoltè to boots, elegant or sporty. The leather for shoes are resistant to bending and weathering.
- Other Uses (2) Furniture, Upholstery and Coverings. This kind of leather is intended to cover chairs, tables, puffs, sofa leather, carpet, armchairs, furniture, automotive interiors but it's also usable for every purpose.
- Size Range Medium (up to 1,6m² - 18ft²)
- Average size of the whole piece 1,5 m² - 16,6 sq. ft. - 1,8 yd²
- Overall quality of leather Excellent - 1° Grade
- Possibility to request samples Yes, you can request samples simply by sending a message with the reference number of the product.
Natural vegetable tanned square shoulders 1-2mm (3-5 oz.) ideal for belts and leather goods such as bags, wallets, binding, saddlery, cases, holsters and craft processing in general: tooling, molding, engraving, embossing, dyeing. This is a very high quality leather, coming from the best European raw hides, in the most cases without any of mark or defect, that has been tanned in Tuscany following the best Italian tanning tradition which represents a worldwide point of reference. The price refers to one whole or half piece of which is indicated the average size.
Many thicknesses available, select one from the drop-down menù.
Main uses of natural vegetable tanned leather
This natural vegetable tanned leather is very versatile, in fact you can use dyes and small accessories to completely change and customize its appearance. This leather is available in various thicknesses and sizes, thanks to which it is possible to create different leather accessories, in particular it is perfect for bags, wallets, briefcases and belts: some products made with our natural vegetable tanned shoulders 100% made in Italy are shown below.
You can choose between "Half" and "Whole" piece:
Average size of the "whole piece": 1,5 m² - 16,6 sq. ft. - 1,8 yd²
Average size of the "half piece": 0,75 m² - 8,3 sq. ft. - 0,9 yd²
Italian vegetable tanned square shoulder
Vegetable tanned leather is distinguished from the others by its very natural appearance that skin keeps at the end of this treatment. This process consists of putting the hides inside rotating drums where it gets in contact with a mixture of water and tannins (vegetable substances derived from trees). The appearance of the skin due to the vegetable tanning is extremely natural, leaving its signs and characteristics intact that make it a unique leather, different from any other. This particular aspect makes tanned leather in high demand and used in fashion. Vegetable leathers can be natural (natural color of the tannins) or colored (with specific dyes).
Square shoulders are one of our favorite vegetable-tanned products. This part of leather lends itself particularly well to production of bags and belts due to its square shape which avoids to waste contours of the surface (as is the case for non-square shoulders). It is also used for many other accessories and leather goods.
Finally, a feature that makes this skin so different from any other is the so-called wrinkle that is formed at the center of shoulder. Although an unskilled eye can see it as a defect, it gives more personality to the finished product. This leather is also very suitable for tooling.
Jacob S. published the 03/04/2023 following an order made on 09/03/2023
Excellent veg tan leather. Takes dye very well. Will be ordering again.
Eric R. published the 10/03/2023 following an order made on 06/02/2023
Fast delivery of beautiful leather
Andrew H. published the 01/03/2023 following an order made on 03/02/2023
The right thickness as requested and looks like a very nice product
Tom V. published the 02/02/2023 following an order made on 14/01/2023
Smells very bad, like mold
Comment from BuyLeatherOnline the 30/01/2023
Hello, thanks for the feedback. The veg tan leather has a typical different smell compared to normal chrome tanned leather, but it is a normal and appreciated feature. These skins are produced every month by us and all lots are new and fresh so we suppose it is just a personal taste as we never received a report atout the smell. Thank you
Charles H. published the 25/01/2023 following an order made on 28/12/2022
Beautiful piece of leather front and back.
Tommi M. published the 03/01/2023 following an order made on 25/11/2022
Tuote oli tilauksen mukainen.
Sara Y. published the 15/12/2022 following an order made on 24/11/2022
Great! Excited to work w/
Erich P. published the 07/12/2022 following an order made on 10/11/2022
The leather is of the finest,very best quality.
Walter E. published the 22/11/2022 following an order made on 28/10/2022
Happy with the quality
- Out of stock
- Ivory - Off-White
- Beige - Natural
- Pinky Beige - Powder
- Light Orange - Salmon
- Light Pink (Baby)
- Wisteria - Lilac
- Light Purple - Magenta
- Normal Purple
- Light Green
- Medium Green
- Olive Green Normal
- Normal Army Green
- Dark Green
- Emerald - Water Green
- Light Turquoise
- Light Blue
- Sky Blue - Azure
- Medium Blue
- Dark Blue
- Camel Brown
- Light Brown
- Tan - Chestnut
- Dark Cognac - Whisky
- Medium Brown
- Dark Brown
- Taupe - Dove
- Light Grey
- Normal Grey
- Dark Grey
- On sale!