- Shell Cordovan leather
- Vegetable tanned oiled leather with Sego (tallow)
- Semi-gloss finish with aniline effect
- Extremely fine and resistant leather
- Medium firmness
- Average thickness 1,8mm (4-5 oz.)
- Made in Tuscany by Maryam Tannery
The price refers to a skin whose size is indicated in square decimeters and its conversion into square feet.
With over 60 years of experience in the tanning industry BuyLeatherOnline is the biggest leather hides supplier and producer of vegetable tanned leather and fashion hides of Made in Italy quality.
We ship worldwide using the best couriers at affordable rates. Preparation times are usually 2-3 business days to which you need to add delivery time of the courier chosen at checkout. We guarantee every shipment to its destination and the shipping costs include package insurance.
|DHL Express||2 - 3 days|
|FedEx||4 - 5 days|
|UPS||3 - 4 days|
|DHL Standard||4 - 5 days|
|DPD||4 - 7 days|
Our secure and eco-friendly packaging ensures that the leather arrives at its destination in perfect condition. Click here for more info.
The accepted payment methods are: PayPal, Credit Card and Bank Transfer.
For almost all items it is possible to request a reduction of thickness down to 0,8mm (2 oz.), this service is free and included in the price, just request it in the order notes. It is not possible to request the splitting service for leftovers, scraps and strips of leather. Split items are considered customized and are therefore not eligible for returns.
- Tanning Vegetable Tanning
- Type of Leather Shell Cordovan
- Leather Cut Shell Cordovan Culatta
- Thickness Range Normal (1 ~ 2 mm)
- Exact Thickness 1,8 mm - (4,5 oz.)
- Type of Finishing (Primary) Aniline (Full Grain)
- Finishing Description Aniline: the leather finished in this way is characterized by the most natural look and quality. Only the finest kinds of leather coming from the best choices of raw are suitable for this processing. Pros: natural look, top quality.
- Oil in Tanning Yes, Oiled Leather
- Temper 3/6 Normal
- Primary Use Leather Goods, Bags, Binding, Wallets. This leather is suitable for producing leather bags or purses, totes, luggage, wallets, book bindings, covers, lining and small leather goods in general.
- Secondary Use Shoes and Footwear. This leather is suitable for shoes and footwear of all kinds, from decoltè to boots, elegant or sporty. The leather for shoes are resistant to bending and weathering.
- Overall quality of leather Excellent - 1° Grade
- More details about quality Being an extremely handcrafted product, each skin is unique and different from the other and the color produced is never 100% identical. You may also find small natural marks such as skin pores.
- Possibility to request samples Not Possible. This item is not eligible for sending samples
Shell Cordovan leather (or simply Cordovan) is a part of horse leather that is vegetable tanned and then finished on the flesh side. Maryam Tannery, which is located in the heart of the Tuscan tanning district, in Santa Croce sull'Arno, produces this leather with the ancient tanning technique of Tuscan Vacchetta oiled with Sego (tallow), which makes these skins particularly beautiful, resistant, pleasant to the touch and workable in an excellent way.
The colors and finishing that you will find for sale on our website have been specially designed and created exclusively for BuyLeatherOnline and are the result of a collaboration between companies.
Being an extremely handcrafted product, each skin is unique and different from the other and the color produced is never 100% identical. You may also find small natural marks such as skin pores.
Features of Shell Cordovan
Shell cordovan (or cordovan) is a vegetable tanned leather, famous all over the world, obtained from a specific layer of horse skin. Cordovan is found only in horse leather and, scientifically speaking, is more like cartilage than leather. Shell Cordovan leather is therefore a very valuable and sought-after product deriving from the processing of horse skins: in fact, it is produced using a specific part of the horse's skin, i.e. the rump. The production of this leather is a manual process that requires the experience of highly skilled craftsmen, who carefully strip the leather from the inside of the flash side to reveal what is called the "Shell Cordovan".
Why is Shell Cordovan considered so valuable?
Shell Cordovan leather has a superior density and porosity, not visible to the naked eye, this feature makes this leather extremely durable, supple and naturally water resistant. Shell Cordovan is a rare and precious material: it has a unique depth, a brilliant sheen, an extremely resistant grain, an excellent smell and the ability to develop and maintain these characteristics over time. Finally, Shell Cordovan, being vegetable tanned, ages very well and develops a particularly pleasant patina over time. This leather is usually produced in shades of brown or dark colors and in the classic "Cordovan" color, i.e. dark burgundy.
Jeremy B. published the 03/04/2023 following an order made on 12/02/2023
Excellent quality and was packed extremely well during shipping
- On sale!