- Vacchetta vegetable tanned oiled leather
- Square shoulders
- The antique "Tuscan Method"
- Burnishable and reactive surface
- 2,8mm (7oz.) thickness
- Ideal for leather goods like covers, harness, saddlery, belts, bags, tooling, shoes and wallets
The price refers to one skin of which is indicated the average size
With over 60 years of experience in the tanning industry BuyLeatherOnline is the biggest leather hides supplier and producer of vegetable tanned leather and fashion hides of Made in Italy quality.
We ship worldwide using the best couriers at affordable rates. Preparation times are usually 2-3 business days to which you need to add delivery time of the courier chosen at checkout. We guarantee every shipment to its destination and the shipping costs include package insurance.
|DHL Express||2 - 3 days|
|FedEx||4 - 5 days|
|UPS||3 - 4 days|
|DHL Standard||4 - 5 days|
|DPD||4 - 7 days|
Our secure and eco-friendly packaging ensures that the leather arrives at its destination in perfect condition. Click here for more info.
The accepted payment methods are: PayPal, Credit Card and Bank Transfer.
For almost all items it is possible to request a reduction of thickness down to 0,8mm (2 oz.), this service is free and included in the price, just request it in the order notes. It is not possible to request the splitting service for leftovers, scraps and strips of leather. Split items are considered customized and are therefore not eligible for returns.
- Tanning Vegetable Tanning
- Type of Leather Bovine Grain Leather
- Leather Cut Square Shoulder
- Thickness Range Thick (2 ~ 3 mm)
- Exact Thickness 2,8 mm - (7 oz.)
- Other Thicknesses Available Yes, you can request a custom splitting down to 0,8mm (2 oz.) in order notes
- Type of Finishing (Primary) Natural Vegetable (Full Grain)
- Finishing Description Natural Vegetable: this finishing, also known as "Crust", is characterized by a natural full grain surface that is clearly visible because the skin is left in its natural state without any kind finishing. It can be used in this state or further refined.
- Dye Completely Passing Through
- Oil in Tanning Yes, Oiled Leather
- Temper 3/6 Normal
- Primary Use Leather Goods, Bags, Binding, Wallets. This leather is suitable for producing leather bags or purses, totes, luggage, wallets, book bindings, covers, lining and small leather goods in general.
- Secondary Use Belts and Saddlery. This leather is usually characterized by a square shape and an high thickness and is suitable for the production of belts, harness and saddles for motorbikes, horse riding, bicycles etc..
- Other Uses Shoes and Footwear. This leather is suitable for shoes and footwear of all kinds, from decoltè to boots, elegant or sporty. The leather for shoes are resistant to bending and weathering.
- Size Range Medium (up to 1,6m² - 18ft²)
- Average size of the whole piece 1,5 m² - 16,2 sq. ft. - 1,8 yd²
Overall quality of leather
Excellent - 1° Grade
Good - 2° Grade
Low - 3° Grade
- More details about quality Since it is 2° grade and the finish is very natural, the leather has natural imperfections.
- Possibility to request samples Yes, you can request samples simply by sending a message with the reference number of the product.
"Vacchetta" square shoulders, vegetable tanned oiled leather produced with the antique "Tuscan Method" that is considered as the best tanning process in the world, a know-how present only in Italy that belongs to the ancient tradition of local tanneries.
This vegetable tanned Vacchetta leather has a medium firmness, a thickness of 2,8mm (7oz.) that can be lowered on request and a very reactive surface (burnishable). This oiled leather is suitable for the production of leather goods like saddlery, collars, harness, wallets, belts, bags, tooling, sandals and shoes.
The price refers to one skin of which is indicated the average size.
Characteristics of the Oiled "Vachetta" Vegetable Tanned Leather
Vachetta is a vegetable tanned leather that contains "Sego" animal oil that is added during the tanning with a special pressing process, this is why it is so special and has peculiarities that distinguish it from other vegetable tanned hides:
- Greater wear-resistant.
- Darker color tending to the light-brown.
- If rubbed, this leather usually becomes more shiny and beautiful, this fact is linked with the best wear resistance: the usage and time instead of worsening the skin pulls the best out of it.
- The pressed animal oil given at a separate stage of production makes this leather very reactive and perfect for tooling!
- The cost of tanning of the Vacchetta leather greatly affects the price, which is why this skins are considered more valuable for the particular workmanship they have undergone.
"Vacchetta" Oiled Shoulders Veg Tan Leather
Shoulders represent the superior half of a whole skin (as you can see in the image below) excluding the belly part. Because of vegetable tanning, this leather looks very natural and is classified as a full grain leather, completely uncovered (without any finishing layer). Furthermore, the skin thickness of a vegetable leather is usually greater than other types of tanning, making it perfect for producing goods that require a good tensile strength.
Vachetta shoulders, due to their thickness and their shape, are well suited to production of handbags, leather goods and shoes, as well saddlery and belts. This skin is treated with vegetable fats (animal oil) and the special Tuscan tanning method, which makes it softer, little bit darker (tending to a light brown) and partially water repellent (fat is a water-repellent substance).
Primary uses of Vacchetta Leather Veg Tan shoulders
AIKATERINI C. published the 28/11/2023 following an order made on 13/11/2023
Perfect! Thick and soft, just how I hoped it to be.
Alexander A. published the 10/11/2023 following an order made on 14/10/2023
Robin D. published the 09/10/2023 following an order made on 16/09/2023
Un super rapport qualité/prix
Antti A. published the 01/08/2023 following an order made on 08/07/2023
A-grade natural Vacchetta is always beautiful and very pleasant to use. Definitely my go-to when it comes to natural leather.
Dennis K. published the 08/07/2023 following an order made on 23/06/2023
Nice, tough leather with a firm temper and mild colour (nothing too striking). Faint lychee tanning aroma, takes a burnish readily and the flesh side is nice and smooth. 7oz is on the heavier side but works for me as I'm making sandals with it. Will buy again.
Rebecca R. published the 27/06/2023 following an order made on 08/06/2023
A good clean product at a fair price with good yield
Haolin Z. published the 01/06/2023 following an order made on 08/05/2023
The 3rd order of this leather. Smells natural and luxury. Although it is written in 3rd grade, but still pretty clean. The natural / light brown version is one of my fav veg-tanned leather. Very similar to TEMPESTI and Badalassi products in much lower cost. However, the dark brown version feels quite different, which I ordered last time. It is try and hard, and has a strong strange smell. Which I don't recommend.
Benjamin S. published the 29/04/2023 following an order made on 06/04/2023
I would not get this again. For the price it should be much cleaner. It was not #1 top grade but #2, and I still feel it should have been better. Too many marks, bug bites, etc. I wanted to use this for a nice business laptop satchel, but this leather is not clean enough. The pic on the site looks really nice and clean but reality is much different.
Comment from BuyLeatherOnline the 28/04/2023
Hello Benjamin, thanks for the order and feedback. You indeed ordered the 2nd grade, pls check your order history, as it was the only grade for cognac color available at moment of the order. Because it is a 2nd grade leather, yes natural signs and defects are present. Thanks
Antti A. published the 27/04/2023 following an order made on 03/04/2023
As beautiful as always!
- On sale!
- Out of stock