- Vacchetta vegetable tanned oiled leather
- Square shoulders
- The antique "Tuscan Method"
- Burnishable and reactive surface
- 2,8mm (7oz.) thickness
- Ideal for leather goods like covers, harness, saddlery, belts, bags, tooling, shoes and wallets
The price refers to one skin of which is indicated the average size
With over 60 years of experience in the tanning industry BuyLeatherOnline is the biggest leather hides supplier and producer of vegetable tanned leather and fashion hides of Made in Italy quality.
Shipping and delivery
We ship worldwide using the best couriers at affordable rates. Preparation times are usually 2-3 business days to which you need to add delivery time of the courier chosen at checkout. We guarantee every shipment to its destination and the shipping costs include package insurance.
|DHL Express||2 - 3 days|
|FedEx||4 - 5 days|
|UPS||3 - 4 days|
|DHL Standard||4 - 5 days|
|DPD||4 - 7 days|
Click here for more info.
The accepted payment methods are: PayPal, Credit Card and Bank Transfer.
You have 14 days to change your mind! Customized products are not returnable. For detailed condition click here.
For almost all items it is possible to request a reduction of thickness down to 0,8mm (2 oz.), this service is free and included in the price, just request it in the order notes. It is not possible to request the splitting service for leftovers, scraps and strips of leather. Split items are considered customized and are therefore not eligible for returns.
- Tanning Vegetable Tanning
- Type of Leather Bovine Grain Leather
- Leather Cut Square Shoulder
- Thickness Range Thick (2 ~ 3 mm)
- Exact Thickness 2,8 mm - (7 oz.)
- Other Thicknesses Available Yes, you can request a custom splitting down to 0,8mm (2 oz.) in order notes
- Type of Finishing (Primary) Natural Vegetable (Full Grain)
- Finishing Description Natural Vegetable: this finishing, also known as "Crust", is characterized by a natural full grain surface that is clearly visible because the skin is left in its natural state without any kind finishing. It can be used in this state or further refined.
- Dye Completely Passing Through
- Oil in Tanning Yes, Oiled Leather
- Temper 3/6 Normal
- Primary Use Leather Goods, Bags, Binding, Wallets. This leather is suitable for producing leather bags or purses, totes, luggage, wallets, book bindings, covers, lining and small leather goods in general.
- Secondary Use Belts and Saddlery. This leather is usually characterized by a square shape and an high thickness and is suitable for the production of belts, harness and saddles for motorbikes, horse riding, bicycles etc..
- Other Uses Shoes and Footwear. This leather is suitable for shoes and footwear of all kinds, from decoltè to boots, elegant or sporty. The leather for shoes are resistant to bending and weathering.
- Size Range Medium (up to 1,6m² - 18ft²)
- Average size of the whole piece 1,5 m² - 16,6 sq. ft. - 1,8 yd²
Overall quality of leather
Excellent - 1° Grade
Good - 2° Grade
Low - 3° Grade
- Possibility to request samples Yes, you can request samples simply by sending a message with the reference number of the product.
"Vacchetta" square shoulders, vegetable tanned oiled leather produced with the antique "Tuscan Method" that is considered as the best tanning process in the world, a know-how present only in Italy that belongs to the ancient tradition of local tanneries.
This vegetable tanned Vacchetta leather has a medium firmness, a thickness of 2,8mm (7oz.) that can be lowered on request and a very reactive surface (burnishable). This oiled leather is suitable for the production of leather goods like saddlery, collars, harness, wallets, belts, bags, tooling, sandals and shoes.
The price refers to one skin of which is indicated the average size.
Characteristics of the Oiled "Vachetta" Vegetable Tanned Leather
Vachetta is a vegetable tanned leather that contains "Sego" animal oil that is added during the tanning with a special pressing process, this is why it is so special and has peculiarities that distinguish it from other vegetable tanned hides:
- Greater wear-resistant.
- Darker color tending to the light-brown.
- If rubbed, this leather usually becomes more shiny and beautiful, this fact is linked with the best wear resistance: the usage and time instead of worsening the skin pulls the best out of it.
- The pressed animal oil given at a separate stage of production makes this leather very reactive and perfect for tooling!
- The cost of tanning of the Vacchetta leather greatly affects the price, which is why this skins are considered more valuable for the particular workmanship they have undergone.
"Vacchetta" Oiled Shoulders Veg Tan Leather
Shoulders represent the superior half of a whole skin (as you can see in the image below) excluding the belly part. Because of vegetable tanning, this leather looks very natural and is classified as a full grain leather, completely uncovered (without any finishing layer). Furthermore, the skin thickness of a vegetable leather is usually greater than other types of tanning, making it perfect for producing goods that require a good tensile strength.
Vachetta shoulders, due to their thickness and their shape, are well suited to production of handbags, leather goods and shoes, as well saddlery and belts. This skin is treated with vegetable fats (animal oil) and the special Tuscan tanning method, which makes it softer, little bit darker (tending to a light brown) and partially water repellent (fat is a water-repellent substance).
Primary uses of Vacchetta Leather Veg Tan shoulders
Dave H. published the 02/02/2023 following an order made on 18/11/2022
Tom V. published the 02/02/2023 following an order made on 14/01/2023
Smells very bad, like mold
Comment from BuyLeatherOnline the 30/01/2023
Hello, thanks for the feedback. The veg tan leather has a typical different smell compared especially if oiled, since tallow is added to the tanning receipt. These skins are produced every month by us and all lots are new and fresh so we suppose it is just a personal taste as we never received a report atout the smell. Thank you
Ian J. published the 02/02/2023 following an order made on 12/12/2022
Janne K. published the 10/01/2023 following an order made on 13/12/2022
Beautiful. Ordered 2 half pieces, 2 Tote bags, Just great leather.
Thomas M. published the 22/11/2022 following an order made on 04/11/2022
Beautiful Leather, high quality as expected.
Lino F. published the 25/09/2022 following an order made on 11/09/2022
Excellent for a 3grade.
Vahe H. published the 01/08/2022 following an order made on 11/07/2022
Janne K. published the 01/08/2022 following an order made on 08/07/2022
Piece was bit odd shaped, got a good discount. Otherwise the product was as describede.
Nicklas K. published the 07/07/2022 following an order made on 10/06/2022
It was not as blackas on the picture more gray.
Benjamin S. published the 26/06/2022 following an order made on 14/06/2022
Great piece of hide. Nice back, smells good, and solid dense leather. A tad bit thick for what I need it so I will get it split down next time. DHL shipping is surprisingly fast for it coming from overseas. Overall, a great experience as usual for this company.
- On sale!
- On sale!
- Out of stock